Depression during pregnancy and after childbirth is now quite common and is found by doctors estimated that one in five expectant mother.
Prenatal and postpartum depression - it's not just fatigue, tears and the whims of young mothers, as they mistakenly believe.In fact, it is very dangerous psychological state of the woman and the serious social problems of the family.
According to statistics, it is because of postpartum depression mothers breaks about a third of all young families.The absence of the father in the family is reflected not only on the level of a child's life, but also affects their emotional and psychological state.
Why does depression in pregnancy ^
It is known that pregnancy is enormous hormonal and physical exercise on the female body.Under the influ
Generally, prenatal depression appears excessive irritability, tearfulness, sadness, fear of childbirth, insomnia, and even suicidal thoughts.If this condition lasts for more than two weeks, you must consult your doctor immediately for examination, as these symptoms may negatively affect the development of the fetus.
doctor will prescribe the necessary treatment, and not necessarily medical.In the arsenal of doctors there are now many modern psychotherapeutic methods to set up the future mother (in the absence of physical causes of depression) on safe and positive for pregnancy.
Postpartum Depression: Symptoms and forms ^
Postpartum depression usually begins during the first - the second week after birth and is manifested depression, anxiety, apathy to everything going on, and loss of interest in the baby or excessive anxiety and helplessnesswhen caring for them.
main symptoms generic depression that should alert the family and the medical staff are:
- depressed mood,
- slowness of movement and thought,
- or, conversely, excessive restlessness and panic,
- lack of appetite,
- sleep disturbance,
- loss of interest in life,
Depression after childbirth can have somatic (physical) symptoms, most commonly in the form of constipation, high blood pressure, tachycardia, headaches and pains in the heart and stomach.Long-term depression (more than 6 months) can cause lack of menstrual periods, even if the woman is not breastfeeding.
Asked how many takes postpartum depression, doctors answer that in terms of the disease there are no symptoms and the disease is stable for quite a long time.Only the woman depends on whether it will address in a timely manner for the help of doctors or psychologists, or will put up with a sense of sadness, despair and obsessive thoughts.
How to deal with postpartum depression ^
Depending on the severity of symptoms, postpartum depression can have the following forms:
- mild depressive disorder is not noticeable outwardly, butgrieved giving birth;
- depressive disorder of moderate severity - no interest, silence and depression seen relatives and associates;
- severe depressive episode - manifested strong anxiety, tension, agitation moaning, wailing, throwing and increased physical activity and bustle.
Any of these forms of depression requires timely treatment, because the consequences of depression without medical assistance can be very serious.There are cases when untreated long-term depression (over 1 year), even moderate, resulting in hallucinations, delirium and suicide attempts.In the most severe forms of the disease are possible dangerous actions on the part of women as suicide and murder of a child.
Postpartum depression: treatment ^
Treatment of postpartum depression, depending on the severity of the condition, can be performed on an outpatient basis or in the hospital.In-patient treatment is recommended, as a rule, in the presence of suicide risk, in other cases it is enough to visit the doctor's clinic.
used methods of treatment - medication and psychotherapy:
- From medicines, most often, doctors prescribe antidepressants - the best modern medicine for depression, is widely used around the world.Antidepressants are not addictive and can be used for a long time, years, to full recovery state.
- If necessary, the patient can be administered tranquilizers (sedatives), or neuroleptics (in severe illness with hallucinations, delusions, increased motor activity and agitation).
- psychotherapy for postpartum depression is primarily used as an adjunct to medical methods and has a good therapeutic effect.Since giving birth is held cognitive (explanatory) and family therapy aimed at the normalization of relations in the family.
- is also very useful in clinics conducted group sessions among patients with similar symptoms of the disease - it helps them to cope better with the challenges the postpartum period and not to panic because of family and domestic problems.
In conclusion, it should be noted that, currently, there are many effective ways to get rid of depression.Do not be afraid and ashamed to see a doctor - it will help you not only to themselves but also to their child, since, according to the latest medical research, mothers with depressive states, children are more likely to get sick and suffer illness.
See Also video clip of a famous doctor - psychotherapist Elman Osmanov about symptoms and current treatment of depression: