What is basal cell carcinoma?Basal cell carcinoma (or basal cell epithelioma) - a tumor that develops from cells of the so-called basal layer of the epidermis.
Although basal cell carcinoma of the skin and refers to cancers, many oncologists are inclined to consider it as a specific tumor, which definitely can not be considered benign tumors, but it does not have the characteristic signs of cancer.In particular - very slow growth combined with the absence of metastases.
How does the disease?
skin cancer - basal cell carcinoma - can be presented in several clinical variants:
- Superficial basal cell carcinoma looks like a spot of round or oval pink.
- Tumor skin basal cell carcinoma presented nodules ranging in size from 0.5 cm, which rises above the surface of the skin.At the touch of a tumor is usually smooth, although there are cases of the appearance on its surface erosions covered with crusts.
- Peptic basal cell carcinoma may appear as a separate tumor and may be a consequence of erosion.Thistumor appears as an ulcer with raised edges in the form of a roller.
- Pigmented basal cell carcinoma received its name because of the intense color of the lesion.
- Sklerodermopodobnaya basal cell carcinoma looks like a whitish plaque, on the periphery of which there are pockets of growth.
Who and why there?
usually basal cell carcinoma of the skin affects the elderly - 65 years.Characteristically, the disease most often occurs in the rural population than among city dwellers.Particularly susceptible to basaliomas southerners and forced to be under the scorching sun white-skinned people - long stay in the sun is a risk factor for basaliomas.
But there are also a number of other predisposing factors to the occurrence of basal cell carcinoma:
- Prolonged exposure to aggressive chemicals: arsenic, benzene, toluene, etc.
- Immune disorders..
- genetic predisposition to tumors.
- What it is?
Despite a rather wide variety of clinical forms, basal cell carcinoma usually appears as a small pretty tight formation, which rises above the level of the skin.
Usually favorite places localization basaliomas are upper lip, corners of the eyes, nostrils, nasolabial folds.Quite often there is basal cell carcinoma on his nose.At the center of this education can usually be detected retraction, which is covered with a crust.
Very often people take for basal harmless cold or pimple, and try to cope with it on their own: the crust is removed and expect that education itself will take place.Of course, count on the spontaneous cure of basal cell carcinoma does not.
Subsequently, and without early treatment of the tumor slowly increases in size and may ulcerate.It is characteristic that at first basal cell carcinoma does not cause any pain, because of what the people are in no hurry to see a doctor.
As already mentioned, the basal cell carcinoma is not conventional as it prevents metastasis to other tissues and organs.But consider this tumor can not be completely safe and harmless.Increasing in size, located near bazalioma destroys tissue and may even hit the muscles and bones.And when the tumor reaches the nerves, joined sometimes very severe pain.
treatment of basal cell carcinoma skin
basal cell carcinoma treatment can be carried out by different methods.At the relatively small size of the tumor is used its surgical removal.
is quite effective as radiotherapy, which can be used as an independent method of treatment for basal cell carcinoma of small size, and can be part of a comprehensive treatment.Typically, radiotherapy treated tumors located on the face (basal cell carcinoma of the skin of the nose, for example).
Very good results also makes cryogenic destruction tumors - that is, the impact on her lower temperatures.As a result, the tumor cells are killed.This method compares favorably with other painless, bloodless and almost complete absence of complications.
Prediction treatment of basal cell carcinoma with timely detection of tumors effectively in almost one hundred percent of the time.
What is prevention?
Fully protect yourself from the appearance of cancer (basal cell carcinoma and in particular) can not, but you can follow a few simple rules to minimize the risks.
- sure to protect exposed areas of the body from the effects of solar radiation, this advice is especially important for older people.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the skin of harmful chemicals - carcinogens.
- not shelve the treatment long-term healing of erosions and ulcers.